Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Strange Blogging Phenomena

I just looked up the exact definition of phenomenon to make sure I was using it correctly, and I noticed the plural form is "phemonema". Originally I had "phenomenons" in my title. Anyway, people have been blogging about things they are noticing, and there are a few things that I've noticed since I started my blog that I would really like some advice about.

1. Google Reader won't let me add subscriptions for some of the people on my "Friends" list.

When I started my blog, Janet showed Rachel S. and me a few tips, including how to use Google Reader, and I finally got around to trying it today. When I started adding subscriptions, it wouldn't let me add some people. Has anyone else had this problem? As I've gone back and tried to add those people again, some have worked, but others still are not working. And Emilee, yours comes up as a completely different blog. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just keep trying to add people until they go through?

2. If I add you to my "Friends" list, and you know me but don't really consider me a friend, does that make me strange?

I like people, and I like to look at their blogs. I add those people to my "Friends" list just so that I will remember to look at their blogs. I also do this because Kevin likes to look at the blogs on that list. And I also like to help others connect with people they might know from my list. But I'm afraid people might glance at my blog, see their name on my "Friends" list and think, "I'm not her friend." There are people I would like to add, but I don't because I'm afraid they might see their name and think I'm trying to force a friendship. Does anyone else feel this way? Do you have some kind of system for choosing who you add to your "Friends" list? Should I just add these people to Google Reader (if it will let me) and not my "Friends" list so that they won't see their name and think I'm a weirdo? By the way, if you happen to read this post, and you see your name on my "Friends" list and would like it removed, please let me know. And conversely, if I know you, and you read my blog, and you have a blog, and you are not on my "Friends" list, please let me know so that I can add you. I probably don't even know you have a blog, or I forgot about it if I've been there before. Like I found Lauren's blog, and my name was on her "Friends" list, and I wished she told me that she had a blog. (If you're reading this, Lauren, I'm so glad I found you.) There are probably not any more people like this, but if there are, I want to know because I want to read your blog.

3. My house is mysteriously messy lately.

It's no mystery. I spend too much time on the Internet now. I'm just trying to keep with the strange phenomena theme of this post. Does anyone have any advice for limiting the time you spend blogging so that you can get other things done?

4. William all of a sudden likes to eat vegetables.
Okay, this has nothing to do with blogging, but isn't it weird that he hated the Gerber vegetables when I started giving them to him, and now that I've started giving him more than just fruit, he likes the Gerber vegetables?

5. One of my favorite bloggers, one of the few who got me to start my own blog and whose blog I love to look at every day because she is so much fun, hasn't updated her blog in almost two weeks!

Rachel, if you're out there, I hope everything is okay, and I miss you.

I hope a few of you don't mind how I've copied the style of some of your posts. You know who you are - Rachel B., Janet, Wendy, Cynthia. These are just a few things I've been thinking about, and I would appreciate any advice people have to offer.

14 comments:

John and Heather Davis said...

This is so weird, Ive been thinking this too. Ive seen on some blogs that people have seperate list for blogs they like.
My house is also messy I cant keep up with it like I did before I started blogging. Ive started limit myself to only look at it twice a day. And if I have an urge to look at it, and I always do, the kitchen and the rest of downstairs has to be clean! For me its really bad. If Im not blogging then I want to talk about it and try to get everyone else to start blogging if they havent, just so I have more blogs to look at. I like to talk about it alot and I feel that other people are thinking Im crazy. Maybe I am, but it makes me happy to have been reconnected with so many people. Which brings me to your comment about Rachel. Where are you? Is everything okay? How can us blog stalkers stalk you if there is nothing new to stalk?? Your blog are always so much fun to read and I also miss you!!

P.S. William is the cutest, I love his smile!! It lights up the room!

Cynthia said...

I have asked myself all of those blog-etiquette questions too. Somebody needs to write a manual called "Points of Blogging Protocal". There is clearly a lack of established procedure. Every once in a while at church I'll stop sobebody and say "I found your blog and I've been reading it - is that okay? I feel like I need to tell you that to feel less stalkerish." Once we've had that conversation, I feel okay adding them to my sidebar. :)

Jon and Ashley said...

I always feel weird about adding new people too. I never thought that I would be so into blogging. I am not a scrapbooker and so this is kind of taking it's place.

Emily B said...

Heather - I'm going to do what you do. I read your comment this morning, and I made sure I cleaned my whole downstairs before I got back on this afternoon. I'll try to do that everyday and maybe have two other chores that must get done before I blog.

Cynthia - That's a good idea. I'll make sure I let people know I am adding them before I do. Lately I have just been adding people to my list without asking, but I don't want to take them off, so from now on, that's what I'll do.

Ashley - I agree about the scrapbooking. I never do it, so I feel like this is my family journal. Now I just need to find a way to save it for forever.

Rachel B. said...

I have lots to say about this, but I will have to do that later. I'm sneaking on my computer at work to tell you a quick Happy Birthday! Have a great day.

janet said...

1. Google reader won't add private blogs to your list.. it's that's not your problem, then I don't know what is. :)

2. Adding someone to your friends list is a compliment. It's like saying "I like you!" who doesn't want that? If I ever wonder if someone would think it's weird, then I usually tell them first by making a comment that says, "I am adding you to my friends list--" But the list of "blogs I like" is a good idea. It's the middle ground for blogs that you read, but may not be friends with..
and I really like husbands who read blogs.. mine doesn't and doesn't understand why everyone does.. it's causing problems in our marriage--

3. blogging is totally addicting and can take priority over house work. If only cleaning was more fun and didn't require you to get off your butt! the blogging world really sucks you in. I am starting a new rule in my house-- no TV or computer until after lunch. This gets us going in the mornings and allows me to clean before I sit down and veg at the computer.

4. count your blessings name them one by one. My babies never eat the veggies-- but thankfully they like them later. and that picture is too cute!

5. I don't have the answer to that one.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you have a great day.. and sorry that the party last night wasn't more for you too! Do you want me to go and buy you the present I gave Kate and Denett? Seriously... are you interested.. would Kevin kill me?

just comment on my blog with a yes or no. Either way, I will stop by your house today......

Wendy said...

This made me laugh, Emily. Especially number three. And as I'm sure you know, I can relate to number 2. Mayhaps you should change the heading from "Friends" back to "I Like to Spy On", or to something really neutral like "Other People I Know Who Have Blogs Who May Be But Are Not Necessarily My Friends". No worries if you phrase it like that, right, FRIEND?

Wendy said...

P.S. You can have your blog published into a book. I don't know how, but I think Janet does.

The Smith Family said...

Emily, I just started blogging and I've had the same question/feelings. How do I add someone to my blog without them thinking I'm stalking them or that I'm not really there friend. Therefore, I'm adding you to my blog list and I'm excited to get to know you better :) It was nice seeing you lastnight, and Happy Birthday :)

Julie T. said...

Happy Birthday Emily! I hope you had fun eating sushi!!

Hibbard Family said...

Emily I'm informing you that I just created a blog and I wanted to ask you if I could be added to your friends list! Seriouslly.... I was wondering the same thing, but I just started adding people whose blogs I'm interested in and I figure if they don't want me to list them they'd probably say something?! Maybe I'm wishful thinking and hoping that people want to be my friend :) FYI - you are on my blog list... friend!! And also, every Sunday I so look forward to coming to Sunbeams and hearing what sweet little Rebecca has to say! I think she is the most entertaining of our adorable little angels, you have such a fun, adorable, loving little girl. And I promise she only cries a few minutes after you drop her off!! Jenna

Rachel B. said...

Emily, am I retarded? I read your post a while ago and for some reason just now saw my own personal shout out. That made me feel so good! It's good to know I was missed. :)

Okay, so I've had the same problem with certain people's blogs randomly popping up as somebody else's blog when I enter it into google reader. I don't have a clue why it does that!

And holy crapola, I spend way too much time on the internet too. It's definitely bad for the messiness of my house, but it's just too dang fun. And poor little Reesey sometimes. She literally cries when I walk into the computer room.

I add all my stalkees that I would feel stupid if they knew I read their blog to my google reader. I have a section that says "Don't Know 'Em, But I Love 'Em" where I put all my I really don't know you at all, but have linked to your blog and think your cool. So I'm the same as you as far as worrying about people that I sort of know thinking I'm weird.

That little William is so cute! That's so funny that he now likes vegetables. Reese seems to switch back and forth with fruits and vegetables too. Crazy kids.

Do we get to hear about your birthday?

Rachel B. said...

Also I have to say that I laughed my head off when "Kip" turned around I saw your face. That video was great!

P.S. I'm trying to go for a record of how many comments I can leave on one post.

Jane said...

I totally relate to this post! I have wondered many times if you need to ask someone's permission before adding them to the friend list. But I agree with Janet-- It's a compliment. I'm always happy when I find my name on someone's list. Blogging is addicting. But I think it's a good addiction-- better than surfing some of the gossip sites etc. I would much rather be seeing and hearing what's going on in peoples lives that I care about. It's such a fun way to stay connected to people and to keep and share your own thoughts and memories all at the same time!