Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Think My Kids Are Allergic To Utah

I have to start out this post by saying that my kids never throw up. I think Rebecca has been throw-up sick once at home, and that's it. William has never thrown up except for when he used to spit up. They just don't get sick that way.

Last time I went to Utah, I was with my mother-in-law and sister-in-laws in Salt Lake City to shop for bridesmaid dresses. If you actually read the post from the link you will notice that I did not mention that Rebecca was throwing up EVERYTHING she ate the day we went shopping. This is probably because I did not want to remember how she threw up at our breakfast table in front of all of the other people who came down for the free breakfast at our hotel. And I did not want to remember how she threw up at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building as we waited to have lunch. I probably should have stayed at the hotel with her after she threw up the first time, but we were only staying in Salt Lake for one day. So I decided to throw a few plastic bags in my purse and to try to not let her eat anything while we were out. I know. I'm a bad mom. Luckily she was better the next day, and we flew home without any problems.

This past weekend we went to Utah again, and this time William was throwing up.

My second cousin Tiffany got married on Friday, so my mom, my sister Jodi and her boys, and my kids and I drove up to Orem for her reception.

It was nice to see many of my cousins and second cousins on my dad's side. I'm actually closer to my second cousins because they are closer to my age. (My uncle's youngest daughter is in her forties.) Tiffany was the second cousin I was closest to growing up. I have fun memories of hanging out with her when my family would visit my Grandma Ficklin in Salem. So I was happy to be there for her reception. Luckily William was okay for that party with the exception of a few runny diapers.

We stayed in a hotel right next to Thanksgiving Point, which I had never been to before. Since we had nothing to do Saturday, we spent some time there.

This garden was just a few feet away from our hotel. Don't we look like a happy bunch? I think we were still getting over the six hour car ride with all eight of us (my mom not pictured) stuffed into my sister's mini-van.

Later that day we spent some time in Spanish Fork where we met my Aunt Ruth Ann for lunch at Glade's (my mom's favorite place for fish and chips). After lunch we went back up north to check out a modular home that my sister and her husband might buy to put on my parents' property in New Harmony (I will come back to this story later). Then we went to Cabela's in Alpine, which was awesome. It's a place like Bass Pro Shops. They have a huge aquarium and tons of stuffed deer, bears, birds, and all kinds of other animals that I even thought were cool to see. The runny diapers continued with William, but those weren't hard to deal with.

Sunday my mom had a family reunion in Spanish Fork. That was the day William started throwing up. It started in the morning, and my mom and I thought maybe he was running around too much with his sister in the hotel room causing him to lose his breakfast. Then a few hours later as we were getting ready to leave, he threw up on me sitting in the hotel chair. Again, I probably should have used my better judgement and stayed home from the reunion, but of course I didn't. I was excited to see my cousins on my mom's side. We were at the reunion for about twenty minutes when he threw up on me again. I just sat there with my son and his throw up in my lap and cried. I tried to hold back, but the tears came spilling out. I have no idea what my cousins thought about that. I was a cry baby as a little kid, so they were probably thinking that nothing has changed.

After I cleaned up myself and my son and got control of my emotions, I decided that I would stay at the reunion with William instead of driving my sister's van back to the hotel with him. I put him in the stroller and walked him around the park to try to get him to sleep it off.

We ended up watching a kickball game that the kids started. This is Spencer cheering on his brothers.

After watching the game in his stroller for a while, William decided that he would rather sit in the grass and pick his nose.

We quit giving William milk, and he didn't throw up anymore that day. I knew we were driving home Monday, so I didn't give him anything to eat when we woke up in the morning. All he had was a sippy cup full of flavored water. He didn't throw up in the car at all on the way home, which was great.

On our drive home we stopped in New Harmony, a town just south of Cedar City, to check out a property my parents are interested in buying.


As you can see, my mom is already quite comfortable here. I'm pretty sure it's a done deal, and they will be moving to this place very soon. I'm trying to think positively about my parents moving out of Las Vegas. I even asked Kevin to get me a snowboard for Christmas since we will have babysitters about an hour away from Brian Head.

I really hope my kids aren't allergic to Utah because we'll be spending a lot more time up there after my parents move away (sigh).

16 comments:

Leah and Dustin said...

That's sad about your kids!!
I know exactly where New harmony is because we almost bought some land in Kannarraville a few years ago which is just across the freeway. I love it there. It'll be great to have a place to escape the Vegas heat!

Cynthia said...

Tis the season for parents moving I guess! My folks sold their house last week and are moving up here at the end of August. I am so excited! But also sad to lose my tie to Las Vegas. It will be weird to not go down there anymore! You were staying about a half mile from me this weekend! If you ever want to kill time when you're here sometime, give me a call. (I know you don't usually have a lot of down time on those trips - it's the same with us when we come to Vegas.)

The Smith Family said...

Emily, I like the new header, it looks really good. Glad your back, it's no fun to get thrown up on. When we were in North Carolina a couple years ago, we went to the zoo. While on the tram, Colten threw up all over me. They had to stop the tram and help us get cleaned up. NO FUN! I feel your pain.

The Kodak Moments of our Life said...

Em-
I am so sorry. Sick kids are no fun. We have had our share; actually Elise is sick right now. But I am glad that you tried to make the best of it. I can't believe your parents are moving... Mine are actually moving to Missouri this weekend. That will be nice for you to have them in Utah though.

Karissa said...

That's hilarious that you said "allergic to Utah."

We have lots of friends and family in Utah and they're always asking us why we don't move there.

Our answer, "We're allergic to Utah." LOL!

Utah is fine...we just don't want to live there - and our answer makes us laugh!

Jon and Ashley said...

I love the picture of William picking his nose. That is a keeper. Don't feel bad about your parents moving away, when they don't get to see you as often, they love you even more! Thank you again for dinner last night. Jon was soooooo happy.

Sara B said...

What a not so fun adventure! Hope everyone is doing better. Someitmes it is nice not to have your parents so close.

Hibbard Family said...

What an adventure.... hopefully if you go to Utah on a more regular basis they'll get used to it and maybe not be so sick every trip!! And you are the first and only person to pick up on "pooty" - that movie is exactly wher we got the name, because that movie is so hilarious! Good luck on taking it away from William :)

familiesarepriceless said...

Ya I'm so sad that my parents might be leaving soon but they are going on a mission. I'm happy for them but am going to miss them and am very sad. You are so cute Emily!

Kellie and Stephen said...

I think your kids are just allergic to Northern Utah, who wouldn't be? :) But that is a bummer your parents are moving away although it's not that far away and think how much fun your kids will have visiting them in a little town like New Harmony - they can run free for hours at a time and you'll never have to worry about them. At least they picked a really great place to move - I love it up there!

Anonymous said...

Yes I think the las vegas kids are all allergic to utah lol maybe its the fresh clean air they breath in up there they aren't used too lol

John and Heather Davis said...

Poor William! That's just miserable all around! It's so hard when you are away from home and want to see your family that you barely ever get to see and your kids get sick!


P.S. Can you believe only 7 more days til BD! YEAH! Cant wait!!

Valerie said...

Oh, Emily, don't feel bad about crying over William's throw up. Sometimes having sick kids can take it's toll. Hope the little guy is feeling better and keep me posted on what your parents decide to do about moving.

Wendy said...

Yuck, I'm sorry. Puking kids are the worst. And I totally get the whole "Maybe it was just a one-time thing" rationale- because a lot of times it is!

I think I'm allergic to Utah, too. Sadly, I'm expeced to just build up an immunity. Joy.

One of my friends has family in New Harmony and they absolutely love going up there. So maybe it won't be so bad to have your parents up there. Cedar can be pretty fun (well, at least for theatre geeks like myself), and if you snowboard or ski, having babysitters right near Brianhead will be awesome.

Highland Hussy said...

oh, Emily, that's hysterical! I think I'm allergic to Utah too!! lol, at least that's what I tell Bonnie! :) Ilike the picture of Wiliam picking his nose; Liam hasn't discovered that talent yet, although I'm sure kaelyn will help him out! Laurie

Lindz said...

It is such a small world. I looked on your blog and I was like, I know those people. Spencer and his family have been in my ward my entire life. My parents and sis were at the wedding. I was going to go and then decided not to at the last second. Tiffany is a cute girl. small world, huh?