Especially since Kevin has been working in Sacramento during the week for the past four months. I can reveal this on my public blog now that he is back. All of you blog stalkers out there can come on over because my husband is home, and he's home with a job so secure that he's not going anywhere any time soon.He was asked to work in Sacramento about a month after I started working. At that time, I really started to wonder if my answered prayer to go back to work was a miscommunication. I was already feeling a little overwhelmed with three little kids and keeping up with my job responsibilities, and this request for Kevin to work in California seemed like something that might throw me over the edge.
But I have to say that my job is what has kept me going for the past four months. It was a tender mercy given to me to help me cope with Kevin being gone. I was forced to get up and get ready 4 out of 5 mornings during the week. If I wasn't working, I probably would have spent each day of the week in my pajamas, which would have lead to me not getting anything done. I seem to be more motivated during the days that I'm dressed and ready to go. And my job also gave me enough of a break from my kids during the week that I didn't want to throw them out the window by the time Kevin flew back in to Las Vegas every Friday.
And as if helping me get through this tough time wasn't enough, this job is also a lot of fun. I love the students I get to work with. They brighten my day every morning. And it's nice to feel like I can still do something besides change diapers. Being a stay-at-home mom is wonderful, and I love that I get to stay home with my kids, but I started to feel like I was losing myself. I love to hear when other moms find a new hobby or outlet because I think it's so important that we set aside a little bit of time for ourselves.
I'm not sure if my friend Emily still reads my blog, but I really have to publicly thank her for cleaning up the upper-level math mess at American Heritage before I got there. I don't think I would have enjoyed this job as much if she hadn't straightened things out the previous year. And I've told her that I would love for her to come back and work with me some day. She has a baby coming soon, but maybe in a few years...
I've been asked to come back and teach next year, and I'm so excited to do so. This really is one of my favorite blessings.

10 comments:
I totally agree with you regarding working. I'm glad that Kevin is back and that your world is rockin'
Btw..miss seeing you . Let's get some girls together and get ice cream :)
Oh course I still read your blog. I am so glad you have been able to enjoy working! I really do love teaching, but yeah, it will be a few years before I do that again! :)
I would love to do that, Krista. I miss seeing you too. I love primary, but I feel like I'm in exile in there.
Emily - You need to update your blog! I hope you are feeling well.
I understand exactly what you mean about the working thing! Some days I think it's too much with Stephen's crazy schedule, one kid and another on the way - but I also think it has helped to keep me motivated and not living in my pajamas the past seven months. I'm glad you love your job - maybe if I had a math teacher like you I wouldn't have been soo dumb at it :)
I am glad that you found something that helps you be you. I tried working and it was HORRIBLE!!! I love teaching my piano lessons but anything other than that makes me crazy.
Emily, I think its great that you are able to get out of the house just enough to help you not feel so crazy! Sometimes I miss going to work everyday and having an objective - you defintely feel more productive. I"m happy for you!
Amen, to having something to get you up and ready. When I used to work part time, it totally broke up some of the monotony(sp?) of being a stay at home mom. I think I have left the house 2 times this week, which means that I've maybe gotten dressed 2 times this week. :( And so glad Kevin's back. Hubbies being gone lots is depressing! P.S. I'm coming to town soon. I'll email you and Julie so we can maybe get together!
Good for you Emily. It is nice that you can get away for just a little bit and have time to yourself. Sorry about Kevin being gone so much. Sad :(
Its always a good thing when us moms find things that help us keep our sanity:) I am glad you have found something you enjoy so much. So glad we got to see you guys on Friday night!!
good for you! glad you're enjoying yourself!
Post a Comment