Monday, February 22, 2010

It happened to us

Kevin lost his job today. We have a few different plans for what to do over the next few months, so hopefully we'll be okay while he tries to find a new job.

Thanks to the government and paying extra taxes in 2009, we have a big check in the mail that is going straight to savings. No thanks to KHS&S and their crappy severance package, we could have had a lot more money in the bank, but at least they gave us something.

This is completely unexpected and hard to handle, but I think we are already seeing that this is going to be a good thing for Kevin and for our family. I never felt like this job was a great fit for Kevin anyway. What better time than this for him to figure out exactly what he wants to do and start working towards that.

We welcome any word of open job opportunities.

23 comments:

janet said...

Emily,

I am so sorry to hear that! I know thins will work out, but it still sucks!!! Please let me know what we can do to help-- even if it's just bringing over some cookies (I know you love Duncan donuts... I can go get a dozen anytime :)

Love you lots and we'll pray that you find something close. We can't have you moving on us.

The Morrisons... said...

I am so sorry! Let me know if you need anything, I am not very far :)

Jon and Ashley said...

I am so sorry Em. Believe me, I know how you feel. Maybe you guys should look for something up in Northern Utah. Let me know if you need anything.

Emilee said...

Oh Emily this is devastating! Sounds like you are trying to stay upbeat, but it's such a challenge! What a blessing that you have your 'little' job & that you have some $$ coming your way. You could always go for a change of scenery and come be our neighbors... we would LOVE that. I'll keep my ears open... any field in particular?

Emily B said...

Thanks you guys. You make me feel so much better about this. Emilee - anything but construction. Geez. When things are bad in that business, they are bad! As the day goes on, I feel better and better about this. I know things will be okay.

Katie said...

Emily, I'm so sorry! It is really devistating and scary. I'm glad you seem to be doing ok. I don't know Kevin but he probably needs you to be strong for him right now. If you are considering moving this way, let me know and I will have Kurt open his ears for job opportunities. Good luck!

David and Emily Wilcock said...

I'm so sorry! I will make sure to keep my ears open and your family in our prayers!

Amy said...

I can relate to the thoughts going through your mind right now. We have lost our job twice in the last year and a half. The first time it was expected but the second time it wasn't. Neither one of them was easy but I keep hoping that it will turn around soon. Our prayers are with you!

Samye said...

So sorry Emily!! That is such a bummer to hear, but as you said what better time to really find something that Kevin loves to do!! Hopefully you guys find something sooner than later!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out!!

Kellie and Stephen said...

How awful! You know I've been where you are and there are few things worse than the fear of no income but you and Kevin are both resourceful and willing to do what it takes to get by until the right job comes along for Kevin - which it will! You just have to keep reminding yourself that this layoff really is a blessing, and in the long run you will be soo much better because of it!! Let me know if there is anything you need.

Jane said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Emily! You guys are such a beautiful, strong family, and I know this will only make you stronger. I will be praying for you guys, and hope that this will lead you in the direction you need to go. I'll let you know if I hear of any jobs. Let me know if there is anything I can do!

andrea. said...

that is so frustrating!! i am so sorry to hear that! kenny was out of a job for a long time but we were blessed in so many ways...sometimes i look back and think how we ever made it through.

good luck with everything! i am sure he will find something soon!

Rachel B. said...

AHHHH! Darnit. I am so sorry. You know what though, you're right about it actually probably being a blessing. Adam lost his job last year that he had been at for 7 years. They were obviously pretty devastated, but also grateful because he had known for a while that that wasn't where he wanted to end up. It was just the thing to give him the push to finally go do something that he had been wanting to do. So although what he's doing is initially pretty hard, it's the path that he knew he wanted to take. It's amazing how things work out. And I have no doubt that good things are coming your way! Love ya Em!

vickersfam said...

It's crazy to think what can happen in one day, since I just saw you yesterday. I'm so sorry! We'll be praying that Kevin finds a job that is right for him and your family, wherever it may be. But we'd hate to lose you if it's not close. Keep your chin up and know that we're here for you!

Julie T. said...

Oh, Em I'm so sorry. If anyone can get through this, it is YOU!! You and Kevin are both smart cookies!! I will keep my ears out for any potential jobs.
Kevin could always do some side work as a videographer. He's awesome at it. Jeff's videos are great!
LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Christa said...

sorry girl- I KNOW the feeling!!! I hope that a new job will show up soon- we're still waiting on a new "career"- but at least for now there is a JOB! Good Luck!

Wendy said...

Emily, I am so sorry. I think a lot of us have been there and are empathizing with you right now. I'll ask Damien if he knows of any openings at his company, especially any out west. (although Julianne asks at least once a week if Rebecca will move to New Jersey some day- usually right after we tell her we can't move back to Las Vegas- so maybe I should have him ask if there's anything closer to us.) You're in our prayers.

Cynthia said...

Oh man that super sucks. We went through it last year. And although I was super stressed out at the time, Will was actually kind of relieved. He hated the job, they treated him (and everybody else) like crap. And he ended up finding a job pretty quickly - a job he actually likes, with better pay, better commute, better work environment, better experience - all around it just really turned out to be a blessing. I will be thinking about you guys - I'm sure there is something great out there waiting for you.

Jeremy and Taren said...

Emily, I am so sorry. I am here if you need to talk. I thought his job was doing great. Dumb economy. You are so positive and I know he will find something soon. Thinking and praying for you. You can move with us to Texas. We'll find Kevin a job their. lol!! Please let me know what I can do.

Kiesel Klan said...

Ah man that sucks. I'm so sorry. It is great that you are finding the upside to it already. I pray for good things to come from it. Let me know if you need anything.

jake said...

So sorry, Em. You guys will be in our prayers.

Amanda said...

I am so sorry Emily! I wish the best for you and your cute family.

Highland Hussy said...

Damien's going to be laid off...actually 21 firefighters will be from NLVFD, but what stinks is that they are building a new fire station! what the heck?!