Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Good News?

The good news is that Kevin has a job. A guy in our ward got him a job as a Property Services Officer. He fills in for guys who go on vacation or call in sick who are bellman, valet parkers, and security officers for Park Towers condominiums. He started yesterday, he worked today, and he will work tomorrow through Tuesday. We didn't expect that much from just "filling in", so we are thrilled with how much they are having him work already. And they are willing to work around his school schedule, which is exactly the kind of job he was looking for.

The bad news?

The bad news is that he is not going to be home as much as he has been for the past four months. We've LOVED having Kevin/daddy around all the time. Last year Kevin worked in Sacramento five days a week, and people would say to me, "Well at least he has a job." And I would think in my mind, "I would rather he be unemployed then do this anymore." I got my wish, and I was right. Sure we have been really poor, but I've been so much happier in the past four months in poverty than I ever was when Kevin was in Sacramento during the week and we had money.

But bills must be paid, so he is doing this job AND going to school, and I am back to not having him around all the time again. I'm glad we at least got four months together, and I am grateful to better understand what is most important to me in this world.

9 comments:

Rachel B. said...

I love your honesty. Work really is one of those neccesary evils, isn't it? How frustrating, but great at the same time. I totally understand the husband being away way too much sadness. The other good news is that this shows what an absolutely fabulous relationship you and Kevin have. You definitely got yourself a good guy. Hope it can all settle down to a happy medium for you guys.

Emilee said...

Talk about bitter sweet! How wonderful that you got to have 4 months with him at home. Blessings sure come in strange ways sometimes. Are you teaching again next year?

Amy said...

I TOTALLY feel your pain! When David lost his job I felt obligated to work so that we could have something besides unemployment. But at the end of the day I quit even though David still hadn't found work because I would rather be poor and be with my family!

Emily B said...

I am teaching again next year, Emilee, and I'm glad because my job does help a little with our financial situation.

Samye said...

YEAH! I am so happy for you that Kevin got a job!! It does bite when he has been around so much, than all of a sudden has to take off!!

Jeremy and Taren said...

Emily, I am so happy to hear that Kevin got a job. Sad though he won't be home as much. I feel that way with Jeremy. At Kiddie Kandids he traveled a lot but was home more than he is now and he doesn't even travel with this job. Hopefully it will settle down a little bit and Kevin will be able to be home more again. Thinking of you guys!!

Amanda said...

That is great that you husband has found some work. I am sure that it has been so nice to have him around though.

Hibbard Family said...

I'm so glad to hear that Kevin found a job!Money stresses are no fun. I could hang out with Kam day in and day out but you said it best, that we gotta pay our bills :) At least he'll be coming home at night right!

Wendy said...

It's great that Kevin found work. It's a bummer that it takes him away from you more, but at least it's in town, right? I was the opposite of you, though- when Damien got a job I was like, "Hallelujah! Get out of my hair!"