Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Senator Harry Reid

The Mormon Business Association in Las Vegas holds its quarterly meetings at our school, and Harry Reid was the guest speaker at today's meeting.

I promise this is a picture of Harry Reid. It's the best I could get with my cheap camera.

Our principal asked all the teachers to be there, but I probably would've gone if she didn't. How often do you get the opportunity to see the Senate Majority Leader speak? I try not to talk politics with most people because 1. I get a little too heated about some things, and 2. I honestly don't like offending people, and getting into politics is a good way of figuring out how you are different from someone else. But I have a few thoughts about Harry Reid from the meeting that I would like to record, so please don't take offense to anything I have to say.

I can't say I agree with most of what Senator Reid had to say, but I will say that he is a brave man. After his short speech, he opened up the meeting to questions from the audience. He got some tough questions and a little bit of harsh criticism, but he answered all of the questions asked to him, and he graciously took the criticism. If I were a politician during a difficult economic time, I don't know if I could ask a room full of non-supporters to give me their best shot. I definitely respect him for the way he handled himself and for opening himself up to questions in the first place.

Am I going to vote for him in this upcoming election? Probably not.

No comments: