I'm a total grammar and spelling nazi. I hate announcing this because it worries me that people will start scrutinizing the things I write. But I notice detail. I would say that's why I LOVE doing math. I love that you have to get every little detail correct in order to get the correct answer. So I don't go looking for grammar or spelling mistakes, I just naturally notice them. And I'm not saying that I am the best at using proper grammar, but I do try really hard to write things the correct way. I keep my English 1 book from college at my computer, and I use it a lot to check myself. And I also keep a dictionary close by to make sure I'm using words the way they are supposed to be used and to check my spelling.
So you can imagine my horror when I go back and read some of the comments I've left for people on their blogs or on Facebook, and I've used "their" instead of "they're" or some other incorrect homonym. And I misspell words all of the time now! I'm appalled at some of things I've posted for the world to see!
I never took keyboarding, so I never learned how to type correctly. I know that's where the misspellings are coming from, but I AT LEAST used to be good at proofreading what I'd written before I posted it. I spend a lot of time reading about other people, whether it be on personal blogs or on Facebook, and I really like to comment if a thought pops into my head about a person's post. I consider myself an over-commenter sometimes. And I think the past few years of reading blogs and Facebook posts has made me get too comfortable with commenting to the point that I don't check anything I say anymore! I just type and post, type and post, etc.
I want to change. I don't want to be careless with my comments anymore. I'm doing this post because I want to be more aware of the things I am posting FROM NOW ON! Now that it is written, I will try to be better.
Feel free to attack any grammatical errors I make all the time that drive you nuts.

7 comments:
LOL - I've never noticed any grammar errors in any comments you've left. :) I find myself looking things up too - like lie vs lay, I could never understand that one.
Oh man this makes me feel better because I'm exactly the same way. I can't handle spelling and grammar errors either. Every time I'm reading a book, magazine or article it infuriates me to find errors.
There are a few that I still have a hard time with: effect/affect??? I'll never know.
Oh no, please just briefly look over my posts. I can guarantee there are a TON of mistakes. Owell. Good for you though to care so much. Oh and PS, I can't believe that your baby is TWO. How times flies.
I am exactly the same way! I always notice when people use the wrong their/they're or to/too. I'm a little OCD about it even though I know I make my own mistakes.
Jeez, eye never new peeple wur so krazy 4 spelling and grammer
;)
Confession: I notice all the time and brush it off, but it really irritates me when someone teaches English or a related subject and is constantly misspelling things and using terrible grammar. Confession 2: I had to retype "grammar" 4 times to do it correctly. I seriously need a typing class.
You do not over-comment. Please keep commenting!
Haha! You're so cute. I'm the oppposite... I don't comment enough... but I've gone back and seen some pretty goofy mistakes on my part as well. You're not alone. And I'm so glad there are people out there like you who have math brains... cause I do not. :)
Post a Comment