Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Love Impromptu Vacations

Last Thursday I decided to drive to New Harmony for a nice Easter getaway. Kevin had work and a side job to do, so it was just me, the kids, and Guillermo visiting Grandma and Grandpa this trip.

Sorry to be lame and post without pictures, but my little weekend vacation was so last minute that I forgot to take the camera with me. Here are a few of the good times we had in New Harmony, Utah:

- After loading all of our stuff, there was room for each kid's bike, so we took the bikes with us. My kids did a lot of bike-riding this weekend. The boys even tried out the steep paved hill next to my parents' house. They came away with no serious injuries, but I think the hill scared them both enough to not try it again on their bikes for a while.

- I figured out the four wheeler, and we took it out on a few rides. Guillermo chased us wherever we went on it. He was a tired little puppy by the time we were finished.

- New Harmony had an Easter egg hunt on Saturday morning. There were four sections roped off for the hunt: 1 and 2 year-olds; 3-5 year-olds; 6-8 year-olds; and 9 and older. Braden had about four other kids in his section, so he really could've cleaned up in the egg collecting department, but he and the other kids his age didn't really understand what to do, so they mostly stepped on and broke the eggs. His section was filled with candy spilled on the ground. The 1 and 2 year-olds were still fun to watch, and Braden still got plenty of candy.

- We went to church in Kanarraville where it hailed while I was walking the hallways with Braden.

- We had a nice Easter dinner with my brother Travis's family, and my sister Denise and her husband Buck. Ham on Easter is great, but leftover ham and rolls with Miracle Whip after Easter is even better. We enjoyed the leftovers for the rest of our stay.

- We took a trip up to Enoch to visit with our old friends the Stucki's. My parents talked with Bruce and Rosalee while I talked with Krista and Nicole and all of our kids played together. And I found out that Krista and I work right by eachother, so hopefully I will get to see more of her!

- Uncle Buck and Aunt Denise invited Travis's and my kids over to meet the new kittens, pet the chickens, and ride one of the horses. My kids were in farm animal HEAVEN!

I didn't expect much to happen on our last minute, unplanned vacation, but it ended up being a really great trip! There were so many fun things for us to do during our short stay in Utah. We can't wait until next time we can go and take Daddy with us.

4 comments:

Julie T. said...

Your trip sounds awesome! New Harmony is the perfect distance away for a quick trip... and visiting the Ficklin clan sounds pretty great too:)

Kellie and Stephen said...

It sounds perfect! You know of my love for that area. I think it's awesome your kids get to experience the total opposite of Vegas living and visit their grandparents all in one. They will look back one day and love these memories!

Derek and Claire said...

Hey Emily- I found your blog! I'm glad you had a good Easter and a nice vacation. That mix up with your blog book a couple of posts down is the funniest thing I have read all week! I would be nervous after seeing that dedication, too. How weird! I'm glad you finally got your cute family's book. Your kids are totally adorable and you should be a very proud mommy!

Wendy said...

Miracle Whip? I am seriously doubting your taste in egg-based dressings, Emily. TONE IT DOWN.