Kennedy did so well. She's quite the defender!
Her game was out in Seven Hills, and I really wanted to go the Nordstrom Rack while we were out there. As we were getting ready to leave the game, Kevin let me know that Travis and Wendy my brother and sister-in-law wanted to take Rebecca and William so that we didn't have to deal with them while we were shopping. I told them we would keep William, but they insisted on taking him, too.
On our way back to Travis's house to get the kids, Kevin missed the exit, even when I told him it was time to exit. He said, "It's okay. I'll take Blue Diamond." As we got closer to Blue Diamond, he was in the left lane, and there was so much traffic there was no way he could have gotten all the way over to the exit. By this time, I was getting very upset. A little background about Kevin: He is the oldest in his family, and he is quite the tease. He gets worse as the person he is teasing gets more upset. I really thought he was teasing me because I was mad at him for missing the first exit, and I really was not happy with him wasting my gas all so he could get a rise out of me.
Finally he pulled a small piece of paper out of his pocket and said, "This is our confirmation number." I FINALLY started to figure out something was up. The paper had a number and "4/5 - 4/6" written on it. Travis and Wendy had gotten us a hotel room for my birthday to pay us back for watching their kids in February while they went on a cruise. I was totally surprised and felt a little silly about getting so angry with Kevin.
We stayed at the Mandalay Bay, which is my favorite hotel because we stayed there for our honeymoon. We got a picture of our posh room.
We even had a jacuzzi tub and a TV in our bathroom!
First we went to the pool. The Mandalay Bay has a wave pool with a sand beach for their main pool. They also have a lazy river. Since we were there 5 years ago, they've added a cafe at the entrance, a casino you can go into in your swim suit, and a topless beach. We didn't make it to the topless beach. It was still a little cold, so we only stayed at the pool for an hour. We went to dinner at Metro Pizza, which was my favorite hang out in high school. We went shopping at Mandalay Place which I've wanted to go to since it opened. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be, so we were done shopping there after about 30 minutes. It was still early, so I begged Kevin to take me to the Palazzo, which is the add-on hotel to the Venetian. He helped build the Palazzo when he was in the carpenter's union, and I really wanted to see the finished product. After we got there and he noticed some of the work he had contributed, he was more excited than me to be there. He even knew his way around really well. We found some back stairs that led to the pool, which is on the FOURTH FLOOR of the hotel! We had a nice date night on the Strip, and it was relaxing to be away from the kids. It was my first night away from William, and I think I did really well.
Thanks, Travis and Wendy. You guys are so good to us. And thanks, Kevin. This really has been the greatest birthday ever.

21 comments:
Sounds like you had a fabulous time sometimes you just need a little break from the kids. Next time I come down we should meet at Metro I haven't been there in forever!
Surprises are the best! And its always nice to have a break from the kiddos every once and awhile.
You guys are so cute and Happy Birthday!
That sounds like a really fun surprise and what a nice room you guys had!! I'm impressed, maybe we should check ourselves into a nice hotel, I could always use a little mini vacation! My husband's birthday is rapidly approaching and you just gave me the best idea...
What a FUN surprise! It's so nice to be away from the kids.. and how fun to go back to where you spent your honeymoon! I love the picture of you and Kevin-- and I love that he likes to tease you and make you mad! So funny! So glad you had a good birthday!
Wow this birthday just got better and better, didn't it! There will always be something special about your honeymoon spot, even ours which was lame. :)
That sounds sooo fun Emily. You deserve it! Way to go Kevin!!
and I'll call you next time I go to the Rac and we can go together!!!
Wow, Kevin did good!!! And how nice of your brother to set it up for you guys. I still can't get over the news of the topless beach, crazy! I'm glad you had such a fun birthday. Oh, and Emily, Owen's birthday party was before I had surgery, I just posted those later when I had more energy, so don't think I'm some super mom or anything :)
That is seriously awesome! I'm going to make Tom read this to give him some hints. :)
I'm so happy for you! Getaways are so great, but having your husband suprise you with a getaway is even better! I have to ask.... did he pack your bag? And if so, did he do OK?!
What a great suprise!! Tell Travis and Wendy that my birthday was not too long ago:) Glad you guys were able to have a fun time without the kids- you need that every once and a while!
wow, what an awesome surprise! We also stayed at Mandalay Bay (4 Seasons) on our honeymoon, before we knew we'd move down here! I'm so glad you got such a great gift. And again, happy birthday!
How fun! Glad you got such a great birthday surprise! I am with Jenna -did Kevin pack your bag?
It sounds like you had a great birthday! Great job to everyone! Does this set the bar for next year? j/k! Love the pics!
Brook - We do need to go to Metro. It's just as good as it has always been. Maybe when you come down, you, Kellie, and I can go.
Cynthia - I have to know where you went on your honeymoon now.
Cari - Please take me when you go. I love that place.
Jenna and Sara - Kevin did pack my bag, and he didn't do a great job. He packed me a swim suit and a change of underwear. No toothbrush, no change of clothes. The picture of us is from the next day, and we are wearing what we wore the night before. He also packed the kids' bag, and he forgot to pack William's formula. He did tell me that we would be swimming at my brother's house, so I should shave. I'm glad he at least told me that.
That sounds like so much fun! I LOVE surprises! Happy (Late) Birthday!
You are one lucky girl....sounds like you've had a great couple of days. Obviously we should have stayed there when we were just in Vegas a couple weeks ago...maybe next time we come
I'm giggling reading this, because I think most husbands would have thought the same thing...they had it all covered, and were excited that they rememebered "something!" What a cute surprise - you can't help but smile at his thougtfulness - and forgetfulness all in one! Such a sweet thing to do! Way to go Kevin!
What a great surprise! I hope you had a wonderful time :)
Emily,
Hi! It's Holly, Wendy's sister-in-law. I saw a comment you made on her blog, so I wanted to stop by & say hey. It was so good to see you at Jules' party last month. You are always so sweet & friendly. I miss seeing you all the time.
And your husband ROCKS! Oh my gosh! What a great birthday present. I would have snapped at Mark for missing the exit, too. Don't feel too bad. :)
And I am the same way you are with surprises...it takes me awhile to catch on that they are for me.
Anyway, this is getting long. Glad I found you!
hugs,
Holly Hutchings
I LOVE Roxy's Diner. My friends and I used to go there all the time in high school. I was so mad when they got rid of the singing and dancing. I need to find out if it is still there and if it is we should totally go sometime.
Post a Comment