Sunday, June 22, 2008

Phone Call to Repentance

This weekend was our stake conference weekend which usually involves a Saturday evening adult session and a Sunday morning general session. I'm ashamed to admit that we haven't made it to the Saturday evening adult session since we have moved to this stake. I guess I feel that going to the Sunday session is good enough.

So a few days ago, I got a phone call from Rachel S. about a birthday party girls' night out for Ashley. It would be on Saturday night starting at 5:00 pm. Sounded like fun to me. Then Rachel said, "The stake conference adult session is this Saturday at 7:00 pm, so I understand if you can't make it." This is when I started to feel the guilt. I don't know why - we hadn't been to an adult session in about five years. Maybe it was because I was given the choice to go out and party OR to attend a church function made especially for me, and I knew I was going to pick partying over church. And it didn't help that whenever I asked Kevin if we should go to the adult session on Saturday he would say, "No, I don't want to go." (I was going to write that he said something a little less harsh, but he told me to write what he really said.) So I kept feeling a little guilty, but I justified the guilt by telling myself that Ashley needed me because Jon was out of town and also that we never go to the adult session anyway.

I was all set to go party with the girls when I got a phone call on Friday night at 9:30 pm. It was the stake executive secretary who also happens to be in my ward. He said, "Were you guys planning on going to the adult session of stake conference tomorrow?" And I said, "No, but we could be there if we're needed." Then he said, "Well I wanted to see if you guys would give the prayers for it." And that was it. We were going to the Saturday evening adult session after five years of apostasy toward said session.

I have to say that I'm so glad we went. And I knew I would be. Maybe that's where some of the guilt was coming from. President Earl of the temple presidency spoke about regularly attending the temple. He was one of my first stake presidents growing up, so it was nice to hear from him again later in my life. Then there were some talks about strengthening our families and building our faith. My favorite talk was by Elder D. Chad Richardson of the seventy. He's our area representative. He talked about taking Christ's yolk upon us to make things in our lives that feel like sacrifices become privileges. He also talked about how it is the ward members' responsibility to contribute to missionary work and how we need to build each other up and help each other through this life.


I still made it to the end of the girls' night out, and bowling was a blast. I hope you have a great birthday, Ashley.

7 comments:

Jon and Ashley said...

I'm sorry that my party made you feel guilty. I am glad that you were able to come bowling, and it was sooooo much fun.

Emilee said...

Sounds like you got the best of both worlds last night- the adult session AND the party with the ladies. Looks like bowling was fun & I agree that Elder Richardson's talk was fantastic!

John and Heather Davis said...

I have to admit that I have never been to the adult session of ward conference. Not that this is any excuse for my negelecting to go, but its hard when your husband is not a member! I feel like a loner when I do go to things like that.

The Simpson Family said...

I love you Emily, you are a shining to me and everyone around youe, but especailly me! You're the bomb!

Ashlee said...

Emily you are such a great person. I'm ashamed to say that we have never been to the adult session either, no babysitters? I'm sad that we missed such a great session. You really are a great example to all of us around you!

The Walkers said...

I loved yours and your husbands brutal honesty, and I think all of us can relate. But I also have to agree that going to that adult session was more than I ever thought we would get out of it, I thought it was by far one of the best sessions I have ever heard! It was awesome, and I'm glad it was you that got the call for the prayers!! :) Public praying or speaking makes me sooo unnerved.

The Christensen's said...

Hello!! Okay so I suck at blogging and just realized how to read comments so thanks for checking out our blog! We are adding you now too....
Ryan and Carrie