Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Kids Have Graduated

  • Rebecca has graduated from our little joy school.
My friend called me at the end of last summer to do a joy school with a few other girls in the ward who had kids around Rebecca's age. We should have been done with it after 26 weeks since we planned to do a letter every week. But after skipping weeks here and there and people dropping out because they moved or got too busy, we are finally finished almost a year later.

Here are just a few of the fun things we did:

We built igloos for the letter I. We also taught the number that corresponded to the letter. I is the ninth letter of the alphabet, so our igloos were built using nine pieces of ice.

We made rabbit ears. Thanks for showing me the website for these, Kimi. I got some great ideas from this site after that.

We colored the different parts of a tiger and then put him together.

At Desere'e's house they made walrus masks and glued real watermelon seeds onto their paper watermelons.

I wish I got more pictures of some of the cute crafts people came up with. Desere'e especially had a lot of very fun ideas. For the letter S, she got pine cones and helped the kids glue feathers all over them to make swans. They turned out very cute.

It's so nice to finally be done, especially since I had to do a lesson every other week when Desere'e and I became the only two mothers left doing the joy school. Thanks for sticking it out with me, Des.


  • William has graduated from using the binky.

Not because I am so on top of things as a mother, but because we lost the last two binkies we had last week, and I didn't feel like going to buy him anymore since I was planning to pull it from him at 18 months.

He's been without the binky since Saturday, and he's actually doing better than I thought he would.

Now if we could get the three-year-old to stop sucking her thumb...

14 comments:

Jon and Ashley said...

Your joy school looks so cute. I hope there are some women in the ward that would like to do something like that for Livie's age group. Your crafts are darling. If you can come up with any good ideas for stopping the thumb sucking, please let me know!

Jon and Ashley said...

P.S. That seriously so blessed blog, is so funny. Jon and I cracked up for almost an hour.

Emilee said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! How exciting to pass both milestones at once. Good luck with the thumb sucking.

Katie said...

The Joy School looks so fun! I was asked to participate in one of those and just got exhausted even thinking about it. You're such a good mom!

And congrats on the binkie-less-ness! I WISH Drew would do that.. but we tried to take it away and it was seriously the closest to hell I've been. hahaha

Rachel B. said...

Joyschool! Oh that just brings me back. You are such a good mom to do that. Now the whole binky thing I would have to say I'm jealous of. Reese is OBSESSED with hers. My cut off should have been 18 months, but then I extended it to 2 years out of laziness. Like the comment above, I already know it's going to be the fight from hell!

Jane said...

What a fun idea! I hope I can do something like that with my kids when they get older. Your kids are so adorable.

The Kodak Moments of our Life said...

I love the crafts you girls did with your kids. Look like fun, but a lot of work.

Hibbard Family said...

ahhhh, such a big day to take the pooty away, I hope he continues to do well! Rebecca is so cute, I feel like I just can't get enough of her!

Heather Bay said...

As a former 1st grade teacher (I graduated to 3rd grade! Yay for big kids!), I just want to express my sincere gratitude for parents like you... THANK YOU for teaching your kids the alphabet!!! I mean it from the bottom of my heart. Really. You have NO idea how many kids I would get in first and second (even third) grade who DON'T EVEN KNOW THEIR LETTER SOUNDS. And their parents could care less. Often their parents would be nearly illiterate, too. Sad.

I just want to thank you so very much for taking an interest in your child's literacy. Their teachers will thank you in a few years!!!

Kellie and Stephen said...

I've never heard of a joyschool but it looks like a great idea. Luckily I never let Ryker have binkies but I'm sure that was a great feat getting William off of them, and so far he has no idea what thumbsucking is. Sorry I'm no help there.

About Me said...

Good luck with the thumbsucking, I am still trying to snag the nighttime bottle:) Congrats on the Joyschool, sounds like a great idea and tons of fun for the kiddos!

I loved Breaking Dawn, probably my fave in the series

Cynthia said...

Your joyschool ideas sound so fun! Jacey and I did a little joyschool swap this year too. I LOVED it, and Jacey loved it even more. I thought it was going to be a ton of work, but it was actually really fun. And a ton of work. :) But the fun made up for it, I think. I definitely want to do another one with Londyn in a few years.

And congrats on being binky-free! No help on the thumb sucking though . . . let us know how that goes!

Wendy said...

Yay for finishing joy school! (I still have no idea why it's called JOY school. Anyone care to clear that up for me?) Rebecca will be ahead of the curve when she gets to kindergarten. My mom teaches kindergarten, and you would be APPALLED at how unprepared some kids are. She definitely wishes more parents would do those sorts of things. So, way to be a good mom!

I have zero advice on the binky/thumbsucking dilemma. My kid wouldn't touch her binky after she got a cold when she was six weeks old.

Leah said...

That's great that you can do joy school I've toyed with the idea of doing a pre-school but I can't seem to launch.
All my kids have taken a binky and when they turn 3 they can't have it anymore but with Scott I don't like that he still has it but I totally rely on it!! I'll have to be brave like you and figure out a way to give it up!