Saturday, August 29, 2009

Visitors from far, far away

Two weeks ago, my friend Rachel called to let me know that she was in town from Colorado. She also let me know that our good friend Jake was in town from GERMANY!

We tried to meet up at Macayo's, but they had sent most of their help home for the night, so we walked next door to Metro Pizza. Here we are, the Bishops' kids from the Mtn. View/Mtn. Vista Ward (from left): Ryan (his dad is the current Bishop), his wife Katie, Rachel (her dad was Bishop after my dad), Jake (his dad was Bishop after Rachel's dad), Julie (her dad was Bishop after Jake's dad), me, Kevin, and Braden (not pictured).

Jake is living in Germany with his wife and son studying for his PhD. I've really enjoyed spying on his family through his wife Jasmine's blog for the past couple of years, but I have to say that it was nice to see him in person and find out firsthand how things are living in another country.

A week later we got a visit from Jessica all the way from her med school studies in Atlanta. It's too bad the timing wasn't a little better - I know Jake and Jessica would have loved to have seen each other.

Here is where the three of us got started - freshman cheer.

Here we are four years later at graduation with Jeff and Chris.

And here we are ten years after graduation with Julie's sister Jessie and my Rebecca.

I've had so much fun getting caught up with Jessica this week. She's been great to do kid-friendly stuff with me so that my kids are entertained while we talk. She is in her fourth year of medical school at Emory University in Atlanta. She hopes to become an anesthesiologist. She loves Atlanta, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up settling there, although I would love her to live closer to us so that my kids can stay close to their Auntie Jessica.

Good luck with residency, Jess. I hope you find a fun place to do it in. I can't wait for our fun trip together!

13 comments:

Marie said...

Blast from the past!! :) What a fun post to read! I'm glad you were all able to get together!

Kellie and Stephen said...

That must have been awesome for you, Julie and Jessica to be together again! It looks like your reunions were a good time.

Amanda said...

That is so fun that you got together with Jake, Rachel and then Jessica! Fun pictures - I love the cheerleading picture from freshman year. everybody is so young! I didn't know that Jessica was in med school in Atlanta. I will have to get her contact info. I live in Atlanta (well in the suburbs of ATL. Emory is a great school!
The three of you are still so CUTE!

Cynthia said...

Dang too bad you're missing representation from Bishob Davis' family. :) We need to make a random trip to Vegas some time. It's weird not having family there anymore.

familiesarepriceless said...

Wow that brings back SOOO many memories. I love you family photos!! Super Cute!

Julie T. said...

I look like the biggest dork in that cheer picture!!! But, I love that you put it up anyway. I have the best memories with everyone in these pics:) Your reunion post is way better than mine!

Emily B said...

I was thinking, Cynthia, that the party would have been complete if you and Tom Peterson were there.

Jessica said...

I LOVE you and your hodgepodge kids: the entertaining blonde ballerina who loves ketchup, the cautious and "sensitive" redhead, and the grey-eyed eternal-sunshine baby boy. (P.S. I've figured it out. I think William has stolen all of Braden's crying!) Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you and your brave uterus!!

Liz Prisbrey said...

How fun to get together with old friends. I can't believe how young you guys look in that cheerleading picture! I remember feeling so old in highschool but everytime I look back at pictures now, everyone looks like babies. So funny!

jake said...

That get-together was one of the highlights of our trip for me. Good seeing you guys.

Hibbard Family said...

Its been a long time since I've talked to you - Braden is getting so big and you're working! I hope everything goes well, it'll be nice to have Rebecca be able to be there with you!! ~Jenna

Rachel B. said...

That was so much fun!! I'm so glad we were all able to get together. And what...Colorado doesn't get capitalized like GERMANY? Okay, I guess it's not nearly as exciting. ;) You're so cute and it was such a blast talking with everybody!

Christa said...

OMG... that pic of fresh cheer cracks me up... I am pretty sure we are in the same exact pose and crazy cowboy uniform from our freshmen camp pic! YIKES!!! I didn't even recognize Anzlee and Dawna- crazy how much everyone has changed... or should I say grown up?!
Glad you had a nice visit with Jess.... we should still try to do lunch one of these days. :)