Monday, March 15, 2010

No More Dolly

Yesterday Rebecca showed me the "white stuff" that was coming out of the holes in her Dolly. Today she told me that she wanted to go to grandma's house so that she could ask grandma to sew Dolly up again. I told her that maybe it was time to go to Target and find a new toy to replace Dolly. I've said this to her many times, and she always says, "No. I don't want to do that." But today she agreed that maybe it was time to throw her away.

Dolly was a present from Kevin's Granny and Grandad Kearney when she was born.



She started out bright pink and full of stuffing.

Here's Dolly throughout the years:


age two


age three

age four

Here's Dolly at age five. She's quite a mess, as you can see. Washing doesn't help anymore - it just makes the holes bigger.


And here she is in her final resting place. We will miss you, Dolly.

Update: I wrote this post earlier today, and since Dolly has been thrown away we've had two meltdowns. After the first meltdown, I gave Dolly back to Rebecca. Kevin later got Rebecca to throw her away again, and she had another meltdown before bed. But Kevin convinced her she didn't need Dolly anymore, and right now she's upstairs sleeping without Dolly. And as I'm writing this I think I might get her out of the garbage and hide her somewhere until Rebecca is older because I'm having a hard time losing Dolly too. Who'da thought?!

11 comments:

Christa said...

You should def save her for Rebecca when she is older. That is so sweet... Ashlyn doesn't have anything like that- sometimes I wish she did, but then again, thinking of a time like this when its time to say goodbye... I guess I'm glad we don't have to do that. Good luck!

Julie T. said...

It looks like Dolly has definitely been loved:) Stay strong Rebecca (and Emily)!

Stuart Humes said...

We love comfort items at our house, and it is a sad day for all when they have to go bye bye! I totally understand you having a hard time, because I'm the same way! It's so hard to watch them grow up!!!

Rachel B. said...

Oh get her out, get her out! I'm almost in tears myself. I'm all about saving sentimental things. I definitely agree that it was time to let her go, but I like the idea of you putting her aside somewhere. Rebecca is so cute. I especially love her picture with Dolly at age 2. So sweet! Good luck, you're doing great.

Wendy said...

Have you tried looking for a replacement online? There are some places that sell discontinued Carter's dolls (I have been scouring them for one to replace Julianne's)- maybe they have another one (or a similar one). You could tell Rebecca that Dolly had to go, but she loved Rebecca so much and felt so loved by her that she sent her sister for Rebecca to take care of. Unless you're wanting to break her of the need for a security item, in which case, just ignore me.

Jeremy and Taren said...

That is so cute that you took all those pics of her throughout the years. I would just put Dolly in a keepsake box and give it to her when she gets older. Hope you can find another baby doll for Rebecca. I feel so bad for her. :( So hard to lose your baby doll.

Emily B said...

Wendy - I spent two hours online one day looking for a replacement dolly as soon as the one she had started to get holes in it. The writing on the tag is worn off, so I had to search by just a description of the doll. I couldn't find anything. I would love to check that sight that you are talking about. If I could find another one, I would get it for her.

Hibbard Family said...

Oh man get her out of the trash, poor Dolly! I think you should save her. I had a hard time taking pooties away from Kaden, like I was ripping a precious friend away from him!

Carrie & Adam Brigman said...

Oh my gosh poor Dolly has been through it. This post really made me laugh. Noah has a blanket that is starting to look like Dolly...yikes :)

Anonymous said...

HOw funny! logan carrys this blanket around that needs to be retired! its like a rag! but acts like he would die with out it! the things kids attach themselves too..lol

Highland Hussy said...

aww...it's always so sad to have to throw away a lovey