Monday, August 16, 2010

My First Blog Tutorial

I've been meaning to do this post since Thursday. Here it finally is. I'm just showing how to make the flowers because they are SO EASY. The necklace is online, but you will have to go find it because I don't want to give too much away before Super Saturday. (If you are really interested in the necklace, send me an email, and I'll send you the link to that tutorial. embowman28@yahoo.com)

To make the flowers you will need: 1/8 yard of satin fabric, a lighter, a glue gun, beads.


Step 1: Cut six circles from your satin. The biggest should have about a three inch diameter, and the rest get smaller from there. The circles don't need to be perfect. The other tutorial I read on this said that the flower actually looks better with less than perfect circles. (I know I have five circles here, but I just went to the other tutorial and there were six. I don't want to redo all of my pictures.)


Step 2: Use your lighter to singe the edges of the circles. This will keep the edges from fraying and will also make your petals curl. I used matches to do this because I didn't have a lighter...

...but this gets annoying, so I would suggest buying a lighter if you don't have one.

I would also suggest not using white satin fabric because on some of my petals there were black singe marks. The other tutorial suggests using a nicer satin that will burn okay. Maybe that's my problem.

Step 3: Use your glue gun to glue all the petals together.


Step 4: Once the petals are glued together, put a dot of hot glue in the center of your flower...

...and dump your beads on the glue.

Pour off the excess beads, and this is what you are left with.

I bought these cute white hair clips at Michael's, and glued one on the back. The other tutorial shows two flowers on a headband that is so cute. You can find that here.

Doesn't that look so easy? And once you make one flower you will realize that it really is easy. Happy cute flower making!

8 comments:

Emilee said...

Thank you, thank you! I can't wait to try this!!

Sarah said...

Very cute. And, easy too, for someone like me with no craft blood in me! I'd be interested in those necklaces as well (if they're easy!) SarahMVidal@cox.net

Good luck with the Super Saturday.

Sarah

Julie T. said...

I am so impressed, Em!!! That flower is adorable!

Cynthia said...

Super cute! I'm gonna bookmark your tutorial. :)

Rachel B. said...

Way cute! And that really doesn't look that hard after all. Thanks for showing Em....we need some new and different flowers around here!

Heather Bay said...

Nice tutorial! I hope to see more in the future!

Skeeter said...

that is SOOOO cute! I am so trying it out!

pepin said...

you are very resourceful!

Greetings from the Philippines!

visit my blog PANAY MUD PIE
at http://pmp500.blogspot.com/